Home Diabetes Statistics Registration Route Sponsors/Supporters Photos Contact
Diabetes is growing at an epidemic rate in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 30 million Americans have diabetes and face its devastating consequences.
- Michigan is ranked 22nd nationally in highest diabetes prevalence.
- 12.8% of Michigan adults have diabetes and 37% are estimated to have prediabetes
- 27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed
- People with diabetes have medical expenses 2.3 times higher than those who do not.
- An estimated $900 per person may be saved annually by people with diabetes who attend diabetes self-management education courses.
- In 2014, an estimated 10% of individuals referred for diabetes education did not seek education services because of lack of insurance coverage and/or financial constraints.