Patient Access Representative
Obtains complete and correct patient demographic information and inputs that information in the Health Information Management system in accordance with all published guidelines as accurately and efficiently as possible with the main goal being to optimize the satisfaction of the patient's experience from beginning to end.
- Obtains complete and correct patient demographic information and inputs the information into the Health Information Management applications in order for patients to obtain hospital services and the business office to efficiently bill & collect from the correct payer(s) to resolve the account.
- Performs Registration and Health Unit Coordinator duties in the Emergency Department on the off shifts. Provides support and relief to all coworkers in Patient Access and Health Unit Coordinator position for times of increased patient flow, breaks, and any other times of need.
- Remains current and follows all external government, state, commercial, and private payer policies in order to remain in compliance with their stated guidelines. Proactively shares information with coworkers and other department staff as necessary.
- Remains current and follows all internal hospital wide published policies and procedures .
- Coordinates smooth patient flow processes with all hospital departments and medical staff relative to all patient care and access areas.
- May be called upon to train new staff on all aspects of the job requirements.
- Performs clerical and system functions as assigned.
High School Diploma required. An individual who is a Certified Health Access Associate (CHAA) desired .
Two years experience in a healthcare setting working in a reception or billing role preferred. Direct customer service experience in a professional business setting. Experience working with a business oriented computer program required (i.e. banking, accounting, collections , etc.). Health Information Management system preferred.
Other: Must pass the Medical Terminology test with a 70% or better. Must pass the OPAC Data Entry Test with a min score of 5,200.
- Must possess and display exemplary customer service skills
- Must be able to understand health insurance benefits
- Must possess strong communication skills, listening skills, & emotional intelligence in order to explain patient insurance benefits, answer patient questions, and ease patient worries
- Must possess problem solving skills and be able to work both independently and as a team