Have you ever considered becoming a hospice volunteer?
Volunteers provide critical support for our day-to-day work while changing lives and truly making a difference in our community.
Dickinson Home Health and Hospice is currently seeking volunteers to become part of our hospice team. Whether spending time with patients, helping in the office or providing support to bereaved families, volunteers are an essential part of our team.
The volunteer provides patient care and support services according to his/her experience and
training and in compliance with organization policies.
- Serves as an integral member of the interdisciplinary group amid various settings: home
care; respite; inpatient, bereavement and/or administrative; office duties.
- Participates in general hospital orientation as well as hospice specific training.
- Serves the patient and family/caregiver under guidance of Volunteer Coordinator and Case
Manager or as a part of the administrative team.
- Serves as substitute family/caregiver in the home performing activities that the volunteer
has been prepared for and has agreed to perform. The volunteer may do homemaker
chores, run errands, and provide respite care as well.
- Documents as educated and instructed maintaining confidentiality.
- Meets all health requirements set by the organization.
- Provides availability on a regular basis and/or keeping with the patient and family/caregiver
- Participates in volunteer support groups and/or educational inservices.
- Maintains open communication and reports regularly to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Assignment of other duties (as needed) directed by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Participates in quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities.
- Participates in interdisciplinary group meetings, as appropriate.
- Mature individual, supportive of the hospice concept, comfortable with his/her own
spirituality and willing to serve others in a volunteer capacity.
- Successful completion of the hospice’s volunteer training and orientation program.
- Previous volunteer experience may be helpful.
- Ability to work within the interdisciplinary group.
- If making home visits, must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in
accordance with state or organization requirements and is in good working order.