Some insurance plans require you and/or your doctor to call with specific information and obtain approval before you receive hospital services. You are responsible for reading your health insurance booklet or asking your employer for clarification and complying with the requirements of your plan. Some insurance plans, if not notified prior to service, will reduce their reimbursement, causing the patient to pay more out-of-pocket expense. We are pleased to share what information we obtain about your coverage. Simply call a Financial Counselor at (906) 776-5634.
The hospital submits claims in accordance with its contracts with Medicare, Blue Cross, Medicaid and certain other managed care plans. You will be expected to pay your deductible and coinsurance and certain other non-covered charges when we bill you after the plan has processed the claim. For other insurance plans, we will ask you to assign payment to us, and we will submit your insurance claim. You are responsible for providing information required by your insurance plan to obtain your benefits. If insurance payment is delayed or denied, we will notify you. It may be helpful for you to directly contact your employer or your insurance plan in those instances. You are responsible for all charges not paid under your claim.
Dickinson County Healthcare System participates with the following state and federal payer programs:
Medicare Advantage Plans:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Medicare Advantage (Medicare Plus Blue)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Medicare Advantage PPO
- Humana, Inc. Medicare Advantage*
- Upper Peninsula Health Plan Plus – Medicare Advantage HMO SNP*
- Secure Horizons Medicare Advantage
- United Healthcare Medicare Advantage
- Care Improvement Plus Medicare Advantage
- AARP Medicare Complete
- UHC Dual Complete Medicare Advantage
- Other Medicare Advantage plans – call hospital to verify plan participation
- Wisconsin Medicaid
- Molina Wisconsin Medicaid
- Michigan Medicaid and other state programs
- Upper Peninsula Health Plan, Inc. (Michigan Medicaid Managed Care)*
- Managed Health Services – Wisconsin Medicaid HMO
- United Healthcare – Wisconsin Medicaid HMO
In addition, we participate under contract in the following private plans or networks:
- Arise Health Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield
- Assurant Health*
- Bay Area Medical Center**
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan—traditional plan and TRUST plan
- Cigna Healthcare*
- Cypress Benefits Administrators**
- Fiserv Health*
- Health Alliance Plan Preferred, Inc.*
- Health Payors Organization**
- Healthcare, Inc.**
- Medical Care Access Coalition*
- Pierce Manufacturing**
- PlanCare America**
- Preferred One
- Priority Health Managed Benefits and Priority Health Insurance Company*
- Three Rivers Provider Network**
- Tricare Prime
- United Healthcare Insurance Company*
- WEA-Front End Deductible**
- WEA-Greater Fox Valley and Northeast**
- WEA-Trust Select**
- Wisconsin Physician Services Regional**
- Wisconsin Physician Services Statewide**
Marketplace / Exchange Plans
- Arise Wisconsin Marketplace Plans
- Molina Wisconsin Marketplace Plans
- Consumers Mutual Inc. Michigan Marketplace Plans
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Michigan Marketplace Plans
* These are through Upper Peninsula Health Plan.
** These are through Physician Partners, Ltd.
Some of the above offer more than one plan, and DCH may not participate with all plans. Please check your provider directory or the web site listed on the back of your insurance card to determine if DCH is in-network for your specific plan.
NOTE: We also bill insurance if you assign your benefits to us.
Financial responsibility for services provided rests with the patient, regardless of insurance coverage. After Dickinson County Healthcare System has received payment from the patient’s insurance company, staff will send the patient a statement of the balance that is due on the account. Although medical bills are submitted directly to the appropriate insurance company, it is the responsibility of the patient to make sure that the services are paid promptly and in full. It is understood that a variety of financial situations may require special arrangements, and staff will work with patients on an individual basis. Please feel free to ask any questions regarding professional fees for the services provided.
Healthcare Coverage or Supplemental/Secondary Coverage may be available for you if you fall within the income guidelines within the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
Monthly 100% FPL
Monthly 212% FPL
These amounts are based on federal guidelines, which change each yr. (Last revised Feb 1, 2016)
How to apply
The only way to know if you are able to enroll in either a Michigan Medicaid or a Wisconsin Medicaid program is to apply. Michigan residents can apply anytime by going to www.michigan.gov/mibridges. Wisconsin residents can apply anytime by going to www.access.wi.gov. Or you can apply with your Department of Health and Human Service agency in person, by phone or by mail with a paper application. If you live in Michigan, you can apply right here at DCH by contacting Gwen Gibson at (906) 776-5326. Gwen works in collaboration with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. The contact numbers for Wisconsin Department of Health and Human Services: Marinette County: 1-888-732-7549, opt#1; Florence/Forest County: 1-888-794-5722
If you are not able to enroll in a Medicaid program through your State, you may be eligible to purchase private health insurance through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Generally, you can only purchase private health insurance through the Marketplace once a year in the fall during open enrollment. However, if you have a change in your life, like moving to a new state, losing your job, having a baby, getting married or divorced, etc., you may be able to purchase private health insurance outside of open enrollment. For more information about the Marketplace, go to www.HealthCare.gov or call our local Medical Care Access Coalition (MCAC) at (906) 774-3980.
Benefits through Social Security:
Find out what benefits you may be eligible for through Social Security by calling 1-800-772-1213